So, you have decided to move to another office. There can be various reasons for this. You no longer have enough space for all employees to work comfortably, or the rent has been increased at the current location, or you have found a better location. Be that as it may, now you need to think about the scheme of the move.
It is usually very difficult to carry all the office supplies by yourself in public transport. It is inconvenient, takes too much time, and increases the probability that one of the boxes will get lost or something will break or get damaged.
It’s better to hire moving specialists – you can visit site of a moving company in Calgary to find out the services they provide. Usually such companies help with packing, moving and transporting things, so all you have to do is set a moving day.
In order for the move to go faster, it is necessary to appoint responsible people from the very beginning: this will help you to pack things quickly. Then you can act according to the following algorithm:
- Before you start packing things, sort them and get rid of everything broken, non-working and unnecessary.
- Start packing with things that are not essential for daily work: office supplies, office decor, etc.
- Separate books and important papers. Use a plastic wrap, so that they won’t move inside the box, stuff the box with packing paper, if needed. Make sure that each folder with documents is clearly signed and additionally label each box.
- Make sure each employee also puts their own belongings in an individually signed box. Mark separately where is whose computer or laptop, chair and table.
- You can wait until the last day to pack furniture and electronics. Make sure that you have original packaging for office equipment – printers, computers, laptops – or special boxes for electronics with increased protection. For fragile items, wrap them in bubble wrap or wrapping paper, place them tightly so that they do not move inside the boxes, and additionally mark the boxes as “fragile”.
- Move to the furniture: take apart everything that can be taken apart – tables, chairs, bookshelves, cabinets – and label each package with hardware and screws so that you can quickly assemble the furniture in a new place.
Double check that all boxes are signed for before submitting them for shipping. Now all you have to do is wait for all the things to be taken to the new office, and when you get settled in the new place, it will be appropriate to have a small party – because you managed it.